HOSTILE WATERS, Part 3: Twin monarchs of the Pacific Northwest, chinook salmon and southern resident orcas, are struggling for survival after a century of habitat losses. From the Pacific to the inland waters of Puget Sound and its freshwater rivers, the changes have outpaced adaptation. VIEW
- John Stockton, neighbors told to pay $500,000 in legal fees after trying to stop development on Priest Lake
- Bill to allow medical marijuana in school, administered by parents, advances in Olympia
- Test for emmett
- Washington state raises smoking age to 21
- Proposal in Olympia would allow longer detentions for people in crisis
- Third test for Emmett
- Another test for Emmett
- This is a test for Emmett
Fund For The Needy
Here’s how area members of Congress voted on major issues during the legislative week ending April 12.
Featured Video Stories
- How many people escaped homelessness last year? Seattle doesn’t know
- ‘How many more of my classmates had this secret?’ A Renton teen’s message on homelessness
- Who’s falling into homelessness, and how: King County hopes better data leads to better help WATCH
- ‘Shark Tank’ star Robert Herjavec owes a debt of gratitude to a homeless shelter in Seattle VIEW
Project Homeless is a new Seattle Times initiative that explores and explains the region’s complex, troubling problem of homelessness. With strong watchdog reporting and vivid storytelling, Project Homeless seeks to spotlight what is working, and what is not working, in responding to homelessness. We will also feature solutions-oriented reporting from elsewhere in the country.
Local News Photography
Democratic and Republican lawmakers described the legislation as aimed at students that need medical marijuana for relief from chronic illnesses. The bill would allow marijuana-infused products, but specifically bans smoking pot and products high in the psychoactive chemical THC.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A proposal that would effectively outlaw most abortions in Tennessee if the U.S. Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade is headed to the governor's desk. State lawmakers in both the House and Senate overwhelmingly advanced the legislation on Monday, with just a handful of Democrats voting against. The legislation is expected...
More Special Reports
LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) — Charlie, the oldest southern sea otter held by any zoo or aquarium, has died in California. The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach says Charlie died Monday at the age of 22. Male southern sea otters typically only live 10 to 14 years in the wild. Charlie celebrated his...