Three recent letters to the editor all respond to the recent statement by many Washington sheriffs that they will refuse to uphold the requirements of Initiative 1639 when it takes effect in July. The suggested remedy in all three letters is the sheriffs should lose their jobs or state Attorney General Bob Ferguson should take them to court.
It is not surprising that these sheriffs feel they can take such a blatant contrary stand when they have such sterling examples of the same behavior in the Washington state government on federal laws. Gov. Jay Inslee and AG Ferguson continually refuse to abide by federal laws and to support federal immigration efforts, not to mention federal marijuana laws.
If these sheriffs lose their jobs, why shouldn’t the same be true for Washington state government officials who thumb their nose in the same way at federal laws?
David Cutler, Medina
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Let’s stand with our Boeing neighbors in these trying times | Op-Ed
- Air travel is ‘unsustainable’ | Letter to the editor
- 'Adversity index' valid in college admissions | Editorial
- Jon Stewart schools us on outrage | Brian Boyle / Guest columnist
- A social-media twilight zone | Horsey cartoon