BERLIN (AP) — Authorities in Austria say they’ve arrested a 19-year-old Syrian man in connection with the killing of a teenage girl near Vienna.
Markus Bauer, spokesman at the Lower Austria prosecutor’s office, said Monday that the suspect was arrested overnight after police received tips about his whereabouts.
The victim, a 16-year-old Austrian, was found Sunday covered in leaves and branches in a park in Wiener Neustadt, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) south of Vienna.
Bauer said the suspect and the victim knew each other, but he couldn’t confirm reports that they had previously been in a relationship.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'Perfect cop': Thousands mourn rookie California officer VIEW
- Airstrike on IS-held area in Eastern Syria kills 20
- Gillibrand, in Iowa, bills herself as a fighter for families
- A scaled-down, but still angry, Women's March returns
- Tshisekedi declared Congo's president, but runner-up revolts
Austrian media reported that the victim appeared to have been strangled.