BERLIN (AP) — Authorities in Austria say they’ve arrested a 19-year-old Syrian man in connection with the killing of a teenage girl near Vienna.
Markus Bauer, spokesman at the Lower Austria prosecutor’s office, said Monday that the suspect was arrested overnight after police received tips about his whereabouts.
The victim, a 16-year-old Austrian, was found Sunday covered in leaves and branches in a park in Wiener Neustadt, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) south of Vienna.
Bauer said the suspect and the victim knew each other, but he couldn’t confirm reports that they had previously been in a relationship.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump orders colleges to back free speech or lose funding WATCH
- California to waive environmental rules for fire season prep
- Trump, Israeli leader have mutually beneficial relationship
- Thief steals 140 sap buckets in Vermont
- Alaska bistro defaced by racist graffiti, reference to Trump
Austrian media reported that the victim appeared to have been strangled.